What is this all about?

In 2010, Seven Auckland Jewellery Geeks embarked on a mission to get their work out there and seen by Subliminally Infiltrating other people's openings with the work of that evening's Feature Geek.
+
In 2011, a few more geeks join in the fun and break a few of the original Subliminal Infiltration rules...






Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The No No No accidental Subliminal Infiltration at the Year 4 MSVA show 12 November 2010

I got to work last Wednesday and got confronted by some terribly scary smiley fund-a-mental christian pictures on the hallway leading to my office.  Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes they said. After screaming 'Aargh!' I ran to my office and scribbled No on some masking tape and slapped it on my shirt. I felt invaded and contaminated, like someone had thrown germs at me. It wasnt so much the "Do you believe jesus christ as your one and only saviour" message with badly spelled bible quotes in english and chinese on the posters that freaked me out, it was more the mass hysteria fundamental happy clappy propaganda thing that overwhelmed me. 

Fran coveted thy neighbours No patch and suggested I made some badges to protect the marking team, so I did - these got snapped up like hotcakes, so I made a few more and left them on the ledge outside my office so that people could save themselves.
No No No No Yes Yes No

We were not intending to Subliminally Infiltrate the Year 4 opening on Friday night because not many Geeks were planning to come, so this Subliminal Infiltration took me quite by surprise.  In fact it wasnt until Maggie and Amberleigh from Artists Alliance came up to me with a horrified look on their face, desperately wanting to know if I had any spare No badges, that I realised that the Nos were Infiltrating all by themselves. So I whipped out my camera and started documenting.  I have no idea whose work we were infiltrating but there was one awkward moment shortly after taking this photograph when there were about 5 Nos in a row when some girls suddenly all turned around and one said "Oh no, they are all wearing Nos"- so maybe it was one of them. 
 the Artist Alliance ladies
Nadene wanted to join the No club before she had even seen the Yes mob. I gave her one with a warning that she may not want to be wearing after she had seen the offending installation down the hall, but it remained on her cardy all night.  They had very nice cakes at the opening.
Mark did a great job spreading the good news about where to find the Nos.
Amy and Philip both came running up to me to get a No badge. I am not sure if they knew each other previously or if they met because of their No affiliations.
 
Philip's friend Melissa looked much happier with her No on.
 I got to meet the new staff member Echo because she had a No on.
 Laura wore her No subliminally because she didnt want to offend her classmate. She said her father was confused at first but immediately got the reference after seeing the Yes mob.  Laura's installation in the darkrooms was absolutely fantastic and the highlight of the show for me. 
 Cath and Sharon were trying to take a photo of their twin Floppy Poppies but couldnt stop laughing and laughing and laughing. Ba ha ha! Too much bubbles perhaps.
  Strangely nobody asked me for a Yes badge.  I did find Dr Peter Shand lurking in the corridor with a Yes postcard in his pocket to be ironic and controversial I suspect.  He wore a No badge on marking day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment